Many people are not aware that homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage. Consulting the Federal Emergency Management Agency is important because if your home sits in a 100-year flood plain, you must buy federal flood insurance to get a mortgage. For those outside of high-risk zones, flood insurance is optional.